10 Sleep Hygiene Commandments for Adults
This year the World Sleep Society has created 10 Sleep Hygiene Commandments for Adults, just in time for for World Sleep Day. And as I’m appalling late at posting my own adult tips (so so sorry – it will happen one day), it makes sense to share these hygiene commandments for adults here. Why on a child sleep page? Because it is well documented that child sleep problems cause parental insomnia well after the baby or child starts sleeping well… annoying right! And that’s why I also work with adults, because good sleep isn’t just important for children. It’s vital for ALL of us! But I digress…
The World sleep Society notes that while there are legitimate clinical (or medical) sleep problems, poor sleep habits also cause poor quality sleep in adults. These 10 sleep hygiene commandments for adults were designed to help improve overall sleep and wellness. Here they are:
1. Establish a regular bedtime and waking time.
2. If you are in the habit of taking siestas, do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
3. Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion 4 hours before bedtime, and do not smoke.
4. Avoid caffeine 6 hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate.
5. Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods 4 hours before bedtime. A light snack before bed is acceptable.
6. Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
7. Use comfortable, inviting bedding.
8. Find a comfortable sleep temperature setting and keep the room well ventilated.
9. Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
10. Reserve your bed for sleep and sex, avoiding its use for work or general recreation.
These sound simple enough right? How many are you following daily?
Don’t despair if you’re not following all of them, these behavioural changes can come with their own challenges; the simple act of change being one. Change is HARD. If behavioural change was easy I’d be model slim (lets just say I’m not).. So it makes sense to have some support and accountability. Just like you’d hire a personal trainer to help you achieve your fitness goals, you can also hire a sleep coach (me) to help you achieve your sleep goals. This includes coming off sleep aids like sleeping pills! If you’d like to learn a little more about my adult sleep packages, book in a free initial call and we’ll go from there.
Because everyone needs a good night’s sleep!